The field legal officer analyses administrative constraints on MSF’s operations in the field, and coordinates implementation of legal and political solutions.
The field legal officer applies their legal skills to reduce administrative, financial and political blockages to MSF’s day-to-day activities, in areas typically including, among others tax and finance law, supply and contract law, employment law, immigration law and/or regulation of medical practice.
The field legal officer uses their organizational and management skills to coordinate implementation of identified strategies and legal tools by field teams.
In collaboration with legal advisors in the headquarters, the field legal advisor may be responsible for any of the following tasks:
- Evaluate the applicable legal framework and practices of MSF field teams
- Recommend legal and political solutions and develop implementation tools
- Coordinate harmonized responses by different MSF sections
- Manage compliance with administrative procedures
- Carry out networking and negotiations with local authorities"
- 2 years of professional experience including at least 1 year of legal practice
- In-house experience managing financial and administrative risk is a plus
- Work or travel experience in developing countries
- Advanced English (minimum B2 level)
- French is a strong asset
- Availability of at least 12 months
Some missions may require specialisation in:
- tax law
- corporate law
- international humanitarian law
- medico-legal issues
Before you apply
Interested in working with Médecins Sans Frontières, but still have a lot of questions you need answered? Join one of our information meetings or webinars!
What's it like working with MSF?
In most projects you'll be living and working in stressful conditions without many of the things you may take for granted at home.
Read more about work and life in the field.
Your safety and security
When working for us you might experience dangerous situations, such as confrontations with armed men, looting and theft, or violent clashes between armed groups. We take safety and security seriously. Read more about our safety precautions.